Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Not feeling it? No, I'm just a big puss...

Last night I met Mike R., Clint S., Jody F., and Eric C. for a bit of classic Pisgah night riding. I had been feeling under-the-weather and stiff as a board all day long and I figured a bit of a spin would loosen things up. The planned route: Laurel->Cairns->Slate->Pilot->Laurel. By the time we got to the Cairns I was done. The spinning wasn't doing anything good and considering it was already closing in on 10pm I figured it was time to get out of the woods.
The climb up Laurel was tough last night. Mike 'The Rocket' R. and Jody were up front, Eric and I were in the way back, and Clint was in no-man's-land in between. We took a long rest at Rich Gap, discussed who named the various social trails, and then continued to climb. Technically I was feeling great. The bike was sticking to everything I tried to roll over but my body was complaining. Sore back, sore knee, sore neck..... Gah! When we arrived at the Cairns I knew I wasn't in for the whole ride, that I was going to bail at the creek crossing.
It had been years since I had been down that descent and it was as much of a religious experience as ever. In other words, there is a bit of prayer for forgiveness and pleas of pulling through that goes through everyone's mind as you rocket into the steep sections and plenty of giving of thanks as each rider makes it to the bottom.
Eric was ready to get out of the woods at the bottom also so we rolled out down to 1206 together. It was pleasant having company at that time of day (night) and that deep in the woods. I thing the rest of the guys that continued on were happy to know I wasn't by myself all alone after we parted ways.
The descent to 1206 was great fun and the bike was working perfectly. The climb back to Yellow Gap was painful and over in minutes. Oh, and it was a beautiful, cold, late Fall night. Temps in the high 30's, clear skies, and a crescent moon. The trails were in EXCELLENT shape after yesterday's rain, too. Traction to spare.
Thanks for getting out TNDC guys! Sorry I had to puss out and head back.

1 comment:

  1. Living in a world where Laurel-Cairns-Slate-1206 on a Tuesday fricking night= being a "puss" is a beautiful thing.
    Be Grateful.

    ReplyDelete