Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Trace Ridge, on an early Wednesday afternoon, in 56 minutes.


I got out for a great little ride this afternoon. After a few hours at work this a.m. I decided it was time to play hooky and hit Trace Ridge. I started at the first gate on 5000 at 1:15 and was headed to Spencer. It's been an unusually hot last couple of days and the temps were hovering right around 90 when I decided to walk through the steep field. I got into a good rhythm after that though and was pleased with my time to Trace.
One thing that kept the pace high today was my mind was hardly on the ride. As I left the Jeep one of the powered windows decided to stop working while it was still down. What's a guy to do? Pull the plug because of a little material goods insecurity? No way. Well I was second guessing myself the whole time and blazed over the top and down the ridge. I kept seeing beautiful flowers along the way and had to convince myself to stop. I had to say to say to myself more than once, 'stop. enjoy the scenery.' before I actually did.
Anyway, I otherwise didn't stop and kept a speedy but not over the top pace down the hill. Oh, I realized when I got out the camera that I didn't have a tube with me.... so, as I was saying, not over the top speeds all the way to the parking lot. I said thanks for getting me to the bottom without crashes or flats and was immediately on the way up 5000 to the jeep.
When I arrived everything was just as I had left it, of course, but the little fire under the ass got me through the loop in 56 minutes. Not bad for me.

3 comments:

  1. I've never ridden that loop in under an hour. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trace is soo much better than it was last year, I think! I have ridden it 3 times this year, and it is FAST! I'm finally able to make it up through the eroded section at the beginning of Spencer, through the field, then up into the woods over the roots and rocks. Tough for me. I think I am going to ride it tomorrow, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric, just found your site, and I have to say that your ride reviews and photo ops are fantastic! I can't believe you've been doing this since like.... ?2006?

    Care to trade links with me? I'll have Eric's Ride Blog on WV Cycling, and you have WV Cycling on your link section?

    ReplyDelete